Share us with your Facebook friends!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Your Boyfriend Is An Accesory

This blog is going to deal with your greatest, and sometimes most troublesome, accessory. Your boyfriend.

I hope all of you out there are either happily single or have found a man that makes you happy and treats you like the fabulous big girl you are.

You know what makes me mad? When I see a beautiful, stylish, fabulous girl with a guy who looks like he A) has been playing in the mud, B) is pretty sure Zest is something you use to spice up the chicken, or C) feels that he’s with a big girl so he doesn’t have to try to look good because she’ll stay with no matter what. (Sadly, C is pretty much a reality when dealing with a girl who has no self-esteem.) Think of your boyfriend as a staple in your wardrobe of life- he should compliment your changes and personality and should look good while doing it.

The problem? Some guys are resistant to change and some of you ladies are lazy. I know it takes a lot to mold a guy, trust me I do. But that’s where it gets fun. Think of your man as a vintage bag. Someone else has owned him at one point, they might have even messed him up, and now it’s your turn to wipe the dirt away and buff out all the scuff marks.

I like to think of my boyfriend as a pair of Christian Louboutin’s that another girl left out in the rain. When we first met, I knew he’d be a lot of work. He was tall and lean, had great hair and teeth, and knew that he could melt a girl with his smile. Problem? His clothes. His last girlfriend had been some freak show who thought that boys only looked good in those god-awful Tripp pants and black t-shirts. I like to think that he was young and impressionable (she was older than him) rather than he actually liked those stupid pants. Honest to God, the pants almost ruined everything. Silly, but true. I did give him a chance and it turned out to be one of the best things I ever did.

But those pants had to go.

I didn’t charge in and throw out his whole wardrobe, and you shouldn’t try to do it either. Men hate change, it’s a fact. Do as I did and gradually introduce new things to him. The first thing I bought him was a few pairs of jeans, regular fit and skinny. Then we started going shopping together. At first, he hated going anywhere that wasn’t Hot Topic, but I finally got him to go into a few different stores. It took me a week to convince him to wear a V-neck, but when he finally did, he realized how ridiculous a V-neck looks with those horrible Tripp pants and he started wearing the skinny jeans. Once you get your guy out of his comfort zone, BACK OFF. Too much, too soon will propel him back into his ugly habits. After a few months, he realized how much he loved the skinny jeans and the V-necks and slim fit tees. Once he was comfortable with that, I added to his wardrobe. A cute vest, some nice button downs, etc.

Now, why did I go to all this trouble? Because he is my vintage bag, my Louboutin’s, my arm candy.

I'm not saying that you can't love your man and all his flaws because you can. But wouldn't you tell your best friend if she was looking a hot mess? Yeah, I thought so. It's the same principle.

Your boyfriend is your accessory, ladies. Do not let him go into public smelling or looking a hot mess. Because no one wants to see your honey at his worst.

Remember, “I’m beautiful, I’m beautiful, I’M BEAUTIFUL, DAMN IT!”
Xoxox
Anda

No comments:

Post a Comment