Share us with your Facebook friends!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Must Have IT!

Must Have IT!




If you’re anything like me, you have a problem with impulse buying. I know I do, especially when it comes to new skin/hair/nail/makeup products. My bathroom cabinets (and a few storage bins in my room) are full of products I bought on impulse, used a couple times, deemed them crap, and put in a box for “later inspection”. Sound familiar? I’ve compiled a list of things that I firmly believe you must-have (and Pauline made one, too!) I’m not saying that you should never buy any other items because there is always room to try new things, but these should always be in your cabinet and should always be your backup plan when the new items turn out to be complete garbage.



Anda’s List of Must-Haves



Skin Care

1) Anything from Neutrogena. Seriously. I’m a huge fan of their “rapid action” products. I’ve used all sorts of products and none of them ever worked for me until I started using Neutrogena. (on a side note, if your face is naturally oily… you don’t need a moisturizer!)



2) Everyone needs, AT A MINIMUM, two different kinds of lotion. One that locks in moisture after a shower and at night before you go to bed, and one that smells nice for during the day use. Since I’m a tattoo freak, I’m a huge fan Aveeno. It’s fragrance free, so it is especially good if you have sensitive skin. For the other lotion, try something from Bath and Body Works (I really love their summer collection of coconut based lotions). Don’t want to spend a lot? Suave has just come out with a line of lotions comparable to the Bath and Body Works line.



3) Bikini Zone shave gel. Use it EVERYWHERE you shave. Underarms, legs, wherever, wherever. Soaps dry out your skin when you’re shaving. Bikini Zone contains no soap and it aloe based. Result? Smoother, less irritated legs.



4) Bio Oil. It works on stretch marks, scars, uneven skin and dark circles. In a clinical study, 90% saw improved skin. I’m using it myself on some scars, and it really works!



5) A good moisturizer. Pick your brand. Look at the ingredients! If you have acne prone skin, avoid anything that is oil or petroleum based.



HAIR



1) Neutrogena makes a great once a week anti-residue shampoo (no, this does not mean you only have to wash your hair once a week!) that removes hair product build-up. I usually wash my hair with it on Sunday so that my hair is a clean palette for the week.



2) A good shampoo/conditioner. Again, pick your brand. Don’t be afraid to mix it up either! I personally like Herbal Essence’s Tousle Me Softly shampoo and Coconut Milk conditioner. Here’s my spill on why you shouldn’t buy overly expensive shampoo: HELLO! You’re washing it out of your hair! Save your money for good hair product.



3) Such as Frederic Fekkai’s Glossing Crème. It’s made with olive oil and makes your hair ridiculously soft and sleek.



4) A solid hairbrush. You’d be surprised what the right hairbrush can do for you.



5) If you plan to put your hair up in any kind of ponytail make sure you’re using the right kind of hair bands. Scunci has this pretty amazing line of hair bands that are metal-free and no-pull. They’re made of soft silicone and is really great if you have a sensitive scalp.



6) Dry shampoo. Why? Because if you’re like me, sometimes you overdo it with the Fekkai Crème and have no time to shower again. If you have dark hair make sure the spray says that it’s INVISIBLE or you’re going to end up with white powder all over your gorgeous locks.



7) A cute headband. I always feel like I’m channeling Blair from Gossip Girl when I slip on a headband, and that is not a bad thing!



BEAUTY



This one is tricky because not everyone likes make-up and not everyone looks good in make-up. But here’s a tip for those of you who do wear make-up: Less can be beautiful. I really can not stomach the sight of women who appear to be wearing half a bottle of foundation. You don’t need that much! If your skin is so bad that you feel you need to cake on foundation, then you actually don’t need it. Instead you need to focus on letting your skin breathe and heal. Foundation will clog pores. Another tip? Wash your make-up off EVERY night before bed. I know, especially with girls around my age that after a night of going out you really just want to pass out. It only takes a few seconds to wash your face. Plus, no one looks good when they wake up with raccoon eyes.



If you wear make-up:

1) A good foundation/ eyeshadow primer. This creates a barrier between your skin and the gunk you’re putting on it. I admit that I don’t use a foundation primer because I’m a loose powder kind of girl because I can’t abide by a heavy feeling foundation. Pauline suggests Smashbox for your primer and the Lorac brand for both your actual foundation and eyeshadow primer. I’d also like to point out that a lot of common brands are making primers. L’Oreal (whom I love love love) has come out with a line of “Hollywood Secrets” and their primers are pretty awesome.



2) A solid eyeliner. No one looks good with overly smudged eyeliner. Get an eyeliner that defines AND STAYS. Pauline’s pick- Urban Decay. Anda’s pick- I’m a huge fan of Cover Girl’s new Eyelight collection.



3) Fabulous mascara. Don’t buy the cheap stuff, trust me. The cheap stuff damages your eyelashes. I’m having a love affair with L’Oreal’s Collagen Boost mascara. Try it. Love it.



4) Cotton swabs/ baby wipes. Cotton swaps fix little make-up mishaps. Baby wipes take away make-up. It doesn’t get any easier than that.



IF YOU DON’T WEAR MAKE-UP



A good lip balm. If you want to go for something with a splash of color, try Nivea’s line of lip balm.



Also, just a little side note… WEAR PERFUME! Seriously. Even a light body spray goes a long way.



And wear deodorant. I mean it.



So, I know you want to ask us questions. I know you do! Send us questions, comments, random life rants! We want to hear from you! Prtali@yahoo.com



Remember, “I’m beautiful, I’m beautiful, I’M BEAUTIFUL DAMN IT.”

Xoxox

Anda

No comments:

Post a Comment