Share us with your Facebook friends!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Own Your Style

The purpose of our entire blog is to guide. While I hope that you follow our guide, I also hope that you own your own style. Not everything that we write about (fashion-wise) will work for you or you just may not feel comfortable wearing it (I have a friend who refuses to wear leggings).


Take this as an example: I’ve always thought that certain shades of navy (yes… there are different shades!) and black work well together. Most people will tell you that they clash, though, so I’ve always avoided wearing the two together. Until last week. Last week, I picked up an older edition of O Magazine, and Oprah’s Creative Director Adam told me that he thought thinking navy and black went together meant I had a real sense of style. Ok, he wasn’t talking to me directly, but those were his words. I still shudder at the thought of black and brown together, but now I feel free to wear my cute navy top with some cute black leggings. (I would like to say that I think black on top and navy on bottom looks awkward.)

Speaking of leggings, my dears, I think we should set a few ground rules. Especially since it’s fall (YAY!) and fall is definitely my favorite time of year to wear leggings.

1) Just say no to… spandex. Your leggings should NOT be made of spandex. Try suede or denim or cloth or nylon, anything but spandex.

2) No thick leggings. Hello! Leggings give shape. Why would you want to wear thick leggings that add bulk?

3) Do not treat your leggings as pants because they are not pants.

4) Longer tops work with leggings. Longer tops cover your butt, hips, and tummy.

5) Proper footwear. Flats, low heels, boots, and yes, even a pair of converse (I’m going to be that punk rock kid until I die) work well with leggings. Know what doesn’t? High heels. Can we say trailer trash? Thought so. Olivia Newton John is the only person who could ever pull this look off.

Now, I have to tell you about my MUST HAVE item for October. SCARVES! I love scarves. Why? Let me count the reasons. They pull an outfit together, they keep your neck warm, they add color to a dreary outfit, they cover hickeys, double chins, and anything else you might want to camouflage.

Pauline’s MUST HAVE item for October is the ever warm and comfortable and stylish fleece jacket!

What about those days that aren’t so cold? Try a nice light sweater. This past spring Avenue was having a HUGE sale on winter apparel. I’m not usually one to buy three seasons in advance, but I saw this completely cute sweater (think long, light beige, very versatile) with an even cuter price ($11 marked down from $45!). The best part? I can wear my tank tops underneath because I’m not quite ready to give them up just yet.

Another fall favorite? A blazer. Not your father’s blazer, mind you, but a woman’s fitted blazer.

I love hoodies as well, just make sure it’s the right kind of hoodie. Don’t go for the thick, boyish looking ones. I’m a fan of the t-shirt material hoodies because they’re light, come in a great array of colors and add little to no bulk.

So, here’s your guide.

Mix it up. (My blazer has My Chemical Romance patches on it.)

Own your style.

Remember, “I’m beautiful, I’m beautiful, I’M BEAUTIFUL, DAMN IT!”

Xoxox,
Anda
Questions? Comments? We’d love to hear from you!

Prtali@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment